Saturday, January 16, 2010

Christmas Day 2009

Part 2 - While the big kids were still sleeping some of the little ones were awake. St. Nicholas had already visited at our house as we celebrate Santa on December 6. So our children were aware that their cousins would be receiving from St. Nicholas on December 25th morning. But all the same, I was very proud of them because there was not a whisper about their gifts, while they saw their cousins opening their gifts from under the tree through-out the days we were visiting.

My sister was very considerate and tried to open them discreetly, so that our children wouldn't notice the number, but honestly, they didn't even notice or comment, for which I was proud of them. We had not yet had our family Christmas and so their patience was admirable!

Austin had fun being the garbage man, while collecting the St. Nicholas wrappings.

Pajama Cousins

D.S. Cousins

And of course, St. Nicholas made a drop for Colt, at our house on his way by with the other children's gifts. He knew I would be seeing Colt on December 25th!

Enraptured Audience

Everybody had a hand in preparing the food. I brought and made breakfast and desserts.

The first hit of the day was the Instant Cinnamon Rolls. So easy. So quick. But watch out! They do rise!! Oh my goodness. I thought they rose high when I made them at home, but at my sister's they took over the table!


Christmas Morning Cinnamon buns

Angel cake pan with solid bottom (not one that comes apart) OR
I used a 9 x 13 pan for the second batch

20 frozen dough dinner buns (2 bags)
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vanilla instant pudding mix
2 Tbsp cinnamon
3/4 cups raisins (optional)
1/2 cup melted butter.

1) Before going to bed Christmas Eve pour the frozen buns into the pan.

2) Sprinkle the remaining ingredients over the top in order given (do not mix them).

3) Cover and leave on counter over night

4) Christmas morning bake at 350 deg for 30 to 35 minutes, then turn out onto a plate.


These were so simple and so yummy!!!! We used whole wheat buns and they were delicious!

A tip: put a baking tray underneath to catch the raisens, sugar and goodies that decide to fall off during the baking process, or you will end up with a stinky oven.

And now for the desserts!

Linda, the chocolate trifle was a big hit! I make another trifle that is known as Justine's Trifle, but really, it came from my aunt 24 years ago, when I was living in her little island restaurant. I ate it loved it and learned the recipe. So here are two delectable, but very different trifles. I now have two that I will be known for.

Justine's Trifle

enough white cake to cover bottom of glass dessert bowl (about 4 litres size)
1 large raspberry jello package
2 bananas
1 large instant vanilla pudding package
1 large can (19 oz) can fruit cocktail
real whipping cream
shaved almonds (optional)

1) Make your cake mix and when it has cooled, break into a piece big enough to cover the bottom of the pretty glass serving bowl.

2) Make up the jello and pour it over the cake. The cake will rise slightly.

3) Drain the fruit cocktail and spoon the fruit cocktail over the cake and into the jello. It will still slightly rise. Let set in fridge.

4) Make up the instant vanilla pudding mix.

5) Slice up the bananas and cover the entire surface of the trifle with a layer of bananas.

6) Pour the vanilla pudding over the bananas. Smooth over the surface.

7) Whip up the whipping cream and smooth over the vanilla pudding.

8) You can decorate with some shaved almonds on top. Delectable!

Linda's Trifle

enough chocolate cake to cover bottom of glass dessert bowl (about 4 litres size)
2 packages of instant chocolate pudding mix
2 real Skor bars. Do NOT buy the chips
1 tub Cool-Whip

1) Break up the chocolate cake.

2) Make up one chocolate pudding.

3) Add some thawed Cool-Whip to make it milk chocolate colour.

4) Make up another chocolate pudding according to package directions.

5) Now begin to assemble your layers:

Put a layer of cake pieces, then a layer of chocolate pudding, sprinkle with Skor pieces, a thin layer of milk chocolate pudding, a layer of Cool-Whip.

6) Repeat the layers until your bowl is full. Sprinkle with Skor pieces on the top.

I actually doubled this recipe and made two bowls of the dessert and it was quickly gone!

My dad having his second bowl. He *says* he wasn't eating by the bowl so he could have a third bowl. I believe him, but millions wouldn't! :o)

Making Tree Decorations of Cookies

Girl Cousins

Dad and His Biggest and Littlest Boys

All Hands on Deck - Preparing the Turkey Dinner

I love the relationship between my mum and Ray. He knows how to play her, like he is here, and she loves it.


Hungry Little People

My Baby Sister's First Christmas Dinner - Delicious!


Relaxing Together

Grandad and Raine
.

3 comments:

Linda said...

So glad you all enjoyed the recipes. I got such a kick out of your photos of the buns, that happened to me at the lake. I discovered this year if you freeze the skor bars they break up much nicer. Enjoying all of your postings. I have another trifle recipe that I made for years until the kids discovered the chocolate skor bar one. I will send you the recipe for another time.

All is well with Penny.
Hugs
Linda

darci said...

for some reason your blog doesno't come up as updated on my blog list, so i have a lot of catch up to do! :)
what a gorgeous family pic on your header! darc

Renee said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Christmas family photo! And you my dear just keep getting more and more beautiful with age! :) Lovely!

Loved seeing your family together for Christmas, what a gift in itself!

Your trifle recipe is like mine and I know I could just eat that stuff all day long. I know how your dad feels. LOL

Sweet memories are made of these Justine. And yes, boy living away makes for heart pangs when it comes to things later on. We're aching to see our new grandbabe, but nothing with the Olympics in the way is working out. grrrrr... soon, soon, soon. ahhhhh

Love to you!