Saturday, September 20, 2008

Learning New Things

I have no idea what our girls have done before. Have they painted pictures? Played with playdough? Laced wooden beads on a string? I have no clue.

Yesterday, I got out a puzzle for Mesai. Each day things fall more into place. During the first week that we were home the children were outside all day, from 9:00 am - 6:00 pm, minus their naptimes. They played as a solid group the whole time.

The second week saw a few changes. Briton and Cooper went off a few times and played by themselves with their dumptrucks, and I presented the girls with the idea of playing in their bedroom by themselves. This third week brought more changes. I could see that Mesai might like to do some quiet activities away from the hubbub of all the children. So I brought her into the house, while the rest of the children were playing outside.

I then brought out a large floor puzzle. I showed Mesai the cover of the box with the fairy castle and she smiled. I asked her if she wanted to do it, and yes, she did. I then dumped out the box and showed her what a 'corner' meant. I then found pieces from the edge and taught her 'edge' or 'side'. And then I introduced 'hole, bump' for the middle pieces. We sorted them out and then I gave her a bit of a start and then I let her work on it. I came in and out and helped her, but mostly let her work on it.

What I noticed was that she was like a 3 year old. She would take a piece that was clearly a side piece and though she had a whole line of side pieces already set up,she would try to drop in the next piece backwards. Like she didn't see the edge on the piece. So I would show her and she would go on.


Today, she knew where the puzzles were, so she helped herself to them. Before I knew it, she had two puzzles complete (the ones from yesterday) and was working on the third one. That girl is a fast learner! She took great pride in it, and when Ray came in from work, she was quick to point to the puzzles and say, "Me, me." And then when Briton went to touch the puzzle she said, "No touch!" *smile*

This little girl will be a joy to teach! Everything I present to her she absorbs right away.

2 comments:

Sharla said...

Wow! Those puzzles are fantastic! Where did you ever find such big puzzles?

It sounds like she is a huge sponge...it will be amazing to hear all that she is able to learn this year.

Unknown said...

Sharla,

I got the puzzles from a teachers store. You can get them from Kool and Galt - a little more expensive. But I also got some from TJ Macs in the States. I paid between $4 and $20 each. But they are WELL worth it! I have about 8 of them. I love them!!!