Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tire Swing

One day our 17 year old son asked his brother if he could borrow his bow and arrow. Our genius son had decided to hang a tire swing. He knew I wanted a good one and that would be what I got!

The next thing I knew he was building some fancy tool in the back yard. This boy doesn't do things by half. He is amazing. He knew he needed to get the rope up about 30' in the air, so he first had to get a thread up, with some wool attached, and then a rope on the end. So he set up his gizmo and shot off his bow and arrow and succeeded into shooting it way up in the tree. Mission accomplished and the very high tire swing was born.



He set up his spinning tool where the thread would unwind and the whole thing would be pulled up. I am sure he could have found a simpler way, but no, he has to engineer things. And I am sure this was really about the fact that he could use the roofing harness and 'climb' a 30' tree!! *smile*




He certainly provided the kids with entertainment! They pulled up their deckchairs, got their snacks and got comfortable watching.

The Afternoons Entertainment

The Finished Product

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Such fun!

I have great memories of the tire swing that my dad put up at one of the places we used to live. The swing would glide over a large ditch and for months my stomach would drop for fear I would fall out and into that ditch full of muck and thorns. None-the-less I enjoyed swinging on that tire swing as often as I could convince my younger siblings to push me! More often than not I pushed them (being the amazing big sister that I was :grin:) and we all missed that swing when we moved.

Wow, first comment for me and look how wordy I can be. Oops.

Anyway, I hope your children thoroughly enjoy that swing for years to come!

Unknown said...

Rebekah,

I LOVE wordiness!! It gives ME something to read! *smile*

Blessings, Justine

Unknown said...

So great that your son would take on this task! An engineer in the making perhaps?? Great fun!!
Noelle

Anonymous said...

He is amazing. I laughed out loud at the kids in their chairs watching though. Too funny.

HomoHausfrau said...

That's what I was thinking! Your son definitely seems to have the mind of a future Engineer! Wow!

What a nice thing to do for his sibilings to enjoy for many years to come!