Saturday, January 22, 2011

Greed - An Aesop's Fable - Rather, a Justine's Fable

We teach our children to not be greedy don't we? I fully believe in this teaching. But there comes a time when the theory gets put aside. That would be when your husband brings home a box of Purdy's chocolates! Sorry kids, you saw your mother get very greedy. And you saw her reap the negative consequences of it.

My hubby came home from work one day with a box of Purdy's chocolates.

 

I saw them and remembered how wonderful they are. I knew someone once who worked at Purdy's. I even got to go to the factory in Vancouver when I was a girl.

What began as a joke turned into an earnest fight for the chocolates. I simply began by making a statement that I should have the chocolates, since he would not appreciate them, considering he was known to inhale treats. For Ray, it is a matter of popping in a chocolate, one or two chews, and down it goes.

I, on the other hand, am known to nibble away at a chocolate, until it has disappeared. His is done in the first 10 seconds, while mine lasts a good 30-60 seconds, or more, depending on how delectable it is!

He joked back at me that he had picked up the chocolates, therefore he was entitled to them. Not I.

I stated that I paid the bills at that particular company, and therefore the case was in my favour. He laughed at me. The nerve of him!

I could see that I was losing ground, so I dug in my heels and told him that I was willing to buy him TWO boxes of Stover chocolates in exchange for this box of chocolates. They are very good chocolates. Those I don't care if he inhales.

He laughed at me again, as he walked off with the chocolates. Hhhmmmpph!

I would have been willing to share the chocolates on the condition that I could see him enjoying them as much as I did. There would be no - open, toss in, chomp, swallow nonsense. That is purely sacrilegious (grossly irreverent towards what is being held in esteem) to a chocolate!

I left the room feeling it was extremely unfair.

That night as I sat down in a darkened TV room to watch a little TV I had no idea that my sweet husband had left the *untouched* chocolates right beside my chair. But as I turned on the light I saw it there. I opened it. Not one chocolate eaten. Talk about restraint! (grin) I carefully chose one, leaned back, and bit by bit, I nibbled away at it's delicious flavour.

Once done, I knew I had to hide the chocolates.

Somewhere that no children would find them. I truly, truly, truly was not hiding them from Ray. Yes, it looks like I was. But no, it was the children.

I put them on a shelf under some motorbike helmets, where I knew no young or old boys would find them. Then I went to bed. I forgot all about them.

Until...

About a week later, Ray walked in the door with this...


Boy, did I laugh. And laugh hard. The joke was on me! The rest of the family saw a beautiful sleigh full of chocolates.

I saw the Moral of the Story.

Be Willing to Share!

That sleigh was FULL of Purdy's chocolates. Five boxes, plus individual large candy and chocolate items! My kind husband said he will share with me. Personally, I don't think he will ever believe that I didn't hide the chocolates from him. I seriously forgot I had put them away. I am sure this last week he has felt that I just hid them. (laugh)
.


1 comment:

Michelle said...

Justine, I have forbidden things that are just MINE ALL MINE! For the exact same reason my children and husband do not know a good thing when it enters their lips. I also love to savour something and I will have one go back for another in a few days a like some bad magic trick they have all disappeared no matter the count! Although I have to say mine have never mutiplied well in hiding LOL