Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Christmas Decorations and Winter Woolies

As I mentioned before, we thought we would be in our new house this winter. Well, it didn't work out that way. I carefully packed everything and boxed up all the excess. I made sure to put the things I would need for the winter season near the front of the storage room.

Then my son, my helpful 17 year old son, who was trying to create a nook for himself in that icy cold garage, packed each and every box so tightly that there was not an inch to spare in that garage, minus the 6 x 6 square he carved out for his weights and playstation.

Did I fail to mention that in the course of his restructuring he put my winter stuff so far away that I have no clue where it all is? Well he did. That and my Christmas decorations. We made do with decorations. Actually, we probably had a prettier tree than I have seen in a while. It had popcorn rings, and home made decorations made from To and From tags covered in glitter, and toilet paper tubes that were cut up into rings and then covered with oodles of glitter glue to resemble the three wise men's crowns. And to top it off we hung miniature candy canes and tinsel. It truly was a pretty tree!

The children had so much fun making the decorations that I promised them they could decorate their own trees next year! It was a worthwhile craft. I just left out the glitter, glitter glue, stickers, cardboard, paper, scissors, ribbon, and they came and went when they wanted. Everyone got in on it, even the big guys.

 My very kind hubby delivered the tree that he cut down from our land, and then delivered a case of Coke. He knows that we have not been spending a penny we don't need to and buying a luxury like Coke for my relaxation drink (grin) was not on the budget. He very kindly played out a Coca-Cola commercial by making it the first present under the tree! (grin)


Our Pretty Decorations

They are hard to see because of the camera flash, but they truly were pretty with their white paper and red ribbons, and then all the white popcorn. Cassidy popcorn 1.5 cups of kernels to make this small amount of chains. Could it have been because for every one he strung, he ate ten? Hmmm

Anyways, back to the Winter Woolies.

SO my children had no snow clothes. With a little digging we found the snow pants. There were a few pairs of boots found, but not everyone's....

With a little cajoling, Briton was willing to wear the girls' old boots. He now doesn't notice the pink pom-poms on the pink strings. Mind you, I won't take him skiing til we find all the gear. I wouldn't do that to my boy! lol

And when I looked outside at our first bit of snow to see my dear children in all their makeshift woolies, this is what I saw. How priceless is this...

 Old snow pants that are about six inches too short, plus Dad's old work boots.

 
It didn't stop them from having fun!

Each day that Ray goes to the jobsite he takes a few more boxes. Bit by bit, we are finding the things we need. Hopefully before we begin skiing in January (thank you, homeschooling credits!) we will have found it all. In the meantime, they really aren't cold, so please don't worry. They do have many thick winter sweater jackets, and are making out just fine. *smile*

Update: Since I wrote this post we have located the snow gear, or at least almost all of it. Thankfully, before the deep snow arrived, and just in time for Cassidy to go skiing this week!
.
.


No comments: