Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pianos, Boxes, and Little Boys

When Colt and Dane were little we lived out in the wilderness. We were forty minutes from town and there were no piano teachers near us. Besides, we had no money and there was no hope of having lessons, even if a teacher was available.

My sister was an amazing musician and I remember the sound of music in the house. I always wanted the same for my home, but it didn't seem to be going to be possible.

Then about five years ago, we found a teacher in town and we managed to coordinate the lessons with shopping trips. It worked out. Colt was now 'too old' at 15, but Dane at 13, and Cassidy at 9, were perfect. We did it for about about six months, and then for some reason it stopped. Can't remember what happened. Perhaps it was when we were moving and building. Could have been about money.

Anyhow...

I still really wanted my kids to learn an instrument, and I knew the piano was the best place to start. Last year, when the girls were home, and I had school money to spend I looked into lessons. But it was too difficult. I had heard that the piano teacher I was interested in did home lessons if there were four students. I figured that would work. Turns out she changed and no longer does that. I put it on hold again. I couldn't see myself fitting six children into a music waiting room and sitting there for two hours.

Then this year, I reapproached the same woman and asked her again about lessons. The break finally came. She offered me four half-hour lessons for a total of $40. Not only that, my children were now old enough that I could take them, some schoolbooks, and set them up in the piano room for two hours.

The child that needs the most attention stays for a lesson, and then I leave and go shopping with said child, plus Savannah and Briton. The other three stay behind for another 1.5 hours. One child plays, while the other two sit quietly with schoolbooks. They each have a predetermined seat, and an order in which they play. This way there is no confusion, and they are wonderful children. They sit quietly, do their schoolwork and wait for their lessons. They are loving the lessons and it is beautiful to hear the tinkle of music in the house again!

It was such an exciting day when the piano we ordered arrived!

Here is Our Piano Arriving!
Cassidy and I Building the Piano
Completed Piano
Once the piano was built the little boys asked if they could have the box. For sure! I know how wonderful a box can be. There are so many things to build with a cardboard box! So off they went, struggling and straining to carry that huge box up the stairs.

They Had a Plan...
They Built a Dog House.



 And of course, the two little 'dogs' had to sleep in their dog house that night! *smile*
.



1 comment:

Linda said...

Love it, who needs toys when you have boxes.