Friday, November 26, 2010

Radiant Heat, Basement Floors and Elves?


Ray decided that since we live where there is snow and cold he wanted to put in radiant heat. For those that don't know what this is, it is where there are pipes running through the house with hot water coursing through them. We will have a large wood burner outside and with this we will burn firewood, which will in turn heat the water that runs under the floor. This way the heat is more central.

Up until now we have always used a woodstove. I refuse to give up my stove, so Ray had to work both into the plans. Sorry, but once you have experienced the dry warmth of wood heat you will never go back. Not unless, of course, you are the husband that has to climb the chimney to clean said fireplace twice a year. I did remind Ray that once he gets too old to climb the roof and then up the 9 foot chimney we can always hire a chimney sweep, or employ our loyal sons when they come to visit!

My woodstove will be at the end of the kitchen. The kitchen is like an L shape. Sort of. The kitchen is at the top. The hearthroom is at the bottom. The eating nook is at the right side end of the foot of the L. So you can see how cozy it will be to snuggle up with a book and a cup of mocha in the kitchen!


This is a picture of the stove I had in my old house. I loved it so much that I am getting it again!

The boys and Ray had to lay down insulating styrofoam on the sand first. Then they put down plastic and then covered this with a mesh. Finally, they put down the plastic tie straps to tie down the pipes to the mesh.


 

Games Room Leading to Storage Room on Right
After the pipes were all secured, they had to pour the concrete for the basement floor. Now, can you imagine what fun my children will have?! When we had our tiny basement of 400 square feet when Colt and Dane were growing up they used the braces on the joists above their heads as monkey bars. They hung rope swings and rope ladders from them. They put old mattresses down there and had a ball. We even got rollerblades and they rollerbladed around that small playroom for hours in the long, cold winters.

So, you can imagine, in this basement of 2400 sq feet, minus the rooms that they can't get into, what fun they will have!! We love the plasma cars and those are *fun* on concrete. Plus, they have a few scooters. I can see how wonderful it is going to be next winter!! Sometimes I have to pinch myself when I think that that house that is going up is going to be *ours*!!! It is such a blessing. It would not be possible if my husband were not a housebuilder, and if we had to pay for all the trades!!!! So far we have saved on: foundation, framing, roofing, basement floor prep and pouring, radiant heat installation. There is still more to be saved on.

We have a family member that paid $800,000 to have their house built! Can you imagine!? I can tell you that is hundreds, and hundreds, and hundreds more than it is costing us!

Pouring the Floor

Nicely Poured Floor

An Elf in My Basement?!

Boys Bringing in Propane Heater to Warm the Floor

Cassidy Setting Up Lights For Evening Work

Some Windows Are Installed in Breakfast Nook
Boys' room window is near chimney. Left large window is our bedroom in future; Presently being used as schoolroom. Bottom left is big boys' bedroom. Bottom middle is playroom. Upper middle is livingroom.
Breakfast Nook, Kitchen Window and Deck
You know, my boys don't want to be housebuilders, but only our oldest son realizes what a blessing he has been given by being raised up in the business. I was just telling my eleven year old son today that the money his dad has saved on the trades that we have not paid yet: foundation, framing, roofing, floor, heating - alone, are enough to pay a year or more salary for a decent job!

That is worth learning. Imagine if each of our children learned the trades involved in building a house, minus perhaps, electrical (which even I have done!) and plumbing and carpet laying - well, that is a huge chunk of money that is not being put in someone else's pocket. Now imagine taking that savings that you put out in *your labour* - which is *free* if you don't take time off work to do it - and then you realize that that is mortgage money *NOT PAID*!!

That is what our children will walk away with having been taught to build houses from when they are knee high to a grasshopper!

I know that one of my sons really does not like (mild form of the word) building houses, and he is determined to buy a ready-made house. We shall see. When he sits down with the numbers and pays attention to what he can get with the same amount of money as our young adults will get that also put in free labour - he will be shocked. He may think again about building his house!

The next pictures will be a while in coming, as we are waiting for Ray to frame in the basement walls. I have less ambition this time around to be at the jobsite, due to the cold, cold weather, so I have not been there for about three weeks!
.



2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Justine I have radiant heat, on the most part I really like it but I sure know what you mean by the heat from a wood stove it is so soothing, it just kind of wraps around you. House is looking great, it must be very exciting.

dmvoccola said...

The house looks beautiful. I loved looking at the photos of your house in the country. There were a lot of good memories made there. I sure don't like how time is flying by. :(