Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Cost of Groceries (or Feeding an Army)

The cost of living in Canada is expensive. I have friends in the States who tell me that they spend an average of $600 a month on feeding a family of 8-10 children. We spend on average $1500 a month! I can't compare to urban centres, as we do not live in one. I do know that our prices have been creeping higher and higher for the last few years.

I am sitting here this morning with my 2 week menu, creating a master shopping list. I have figured out exactly what groceries I will need to feed three meals a day, plus snacks and then all the basic supplies for running a home. I have kept it as tight as possible. When the month is over I will be able to see if I was able to get deals or if I didn't need as much, or maybe, if I needed more in a catagory.

Having done this master list, I have then put a number beside it showing how many of each item I am budgetting for. This way, when the items are done, they are done. No more to be bought until the next month. The total? Nearly $1400 and that is without any extras like pop or chips or chocolate bars or ice cream - little treats that Ray and I might like in the evening when the kids are in bed.

This is also with me cooking all of our meals from scratch and baking all of our cookies and desserts. We buy no ready made food. This is also without any bread products, since we are the fortunate recipients of free bread. This was a blessing that God gave us 2.5 years ago, when we bought a freezer for an organization that distributes bread to needy families. I tell you this story *not* to applaud ourselves - but to show you the faithfulness of God. We have always made ends meet, but God knew that though we are not a needy family, we could certainly use a hand by giving us all our bread! So after this organization feeds its families that need it, they give us as much as we need! For this, we are forever thankful!

My goal with this list is to see if I can cut back our grocery bill any further. Up to this point, I have just bought the groceries on the credit card and paid it each month. But this has not taught the boys anything about 'affording' things and 'going without'. And it also means that if we put it on the credit card it is easy to spend more than we actually have. It will do us all good to have cash in an envelope and simply buy what we have money for and then stop when it is gone.

No, we will not go hungry. We are resourceful people. Most of my lunches are made from last nights leftovers - either a repeat of the previous meal, with bread on the side, or a hearty soup made from the remaining meatballs, chicken, or roast beef. You would be amazed what a wonderful soup you can make from one chicken breast or one cup of roast beef. Lots of carrots, potatoes, barley, beans, and all the left over veggies from meals past.

Speaking of that. For those that aren't aware of the 'soup bag', here is a tip. When we have a meal, if we do not have enough to make a leftover lunch, I will simply take the 6 or 66 peas that are leftover, plus the tablespoon or cupful of rice, etc, and put them into a ziploc baggie and freeze it. Then when I make soup I simply add my baggie to the soup - well, first I take the food out of the baggie. *smile* This causes the soup to be a little heartier and a lot more eclectic! And they are always delicious soups.

So I believe that since, Necessity is the Mother of Invention - A Large Family is the Father of Frugal and Creative Living

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have linked up with several other large families I am collecting all sorts of creative tips for living inexpensively. Thanks for your contributions to my ever growing stockpile of great tips!
For me it has been a huge adjustment to go from 2 to 6 children in one year. It isn't uncommon for me to make dinner only to realize I didn't make nearly enough and have to make a complete second dinner just to feed them all. I am finally going out to buy a larger pot and pan set. My largest pot that used to suffice for 4, doesn't quite cut it for 8!!
Thanks!
Chels

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't realize food in canada was so much more expensive than in the states. Learn something knew. I love your creative ways of making soup, I can't believe I never thought of doing that with left over items (veggies, rice)etc since when I was younger my oldest brother was creative like that. Even though food is cheaper here I would love to still cut costs and this would be another brillant way to cut those costs thanks a million in sharing these creative ways.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Buying with your credit card may not teach a lesson but with your family you should be able to collect enough points to take the whole family to Disneyland in no time at all. Actually teaching them that it is okay to buy on your Visa but to pay it off in full on time is really important. I have adult friends that need to learn this lesson because that interest kills you. We taught our children to never buy anything but a home or work related machinery on time and they have thanked us numerous times as they see their friends struggling to pay off several loans a month. Our motto was always if you can't pay for it you don't need it and it has certainly worked for us. Your saving technique is awesome Justine the things you have been able to save for is amazing. Way to go.

Playful Platypus said...

I've often wondered, when spending $600 a month to feed my family of four (Mom, 2 kids, 1 Nanny), how you manage to swing feeding 10!!! We, too, don't buy too much processed food (though we do buy some) and I also freeze stuff and use leftovers. Like making soup from the carcass of a roast chicken that all the meat has been eaten off! My mom also makes soup out of leftover vegetables. Nothing like a good hearty soup to fill the tummy, and most anything can go into a soup.

(So, if you're calculating, $600 for four is equivalent "per capita" to $1500 for 10 - so small town BC isn't that far off big city ON, even when I've been told (by parents) that this big city seems to be more expensive than their big city in AB.)

the Melodious Mama said...

I LOVE this...the idea of the soup baggie. We do the soup baggie for meats and chicken carcasses but the though never occurred to me to use all the veggies/rice etc. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip Justine!

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I am currently revamping our menus too. But as usual, I am stumped over breakfasts, lunches and snacks. Well, lunches are often leftovers and snacks are usually quuick breads and fruit. Wish I could think of more creative ways to add in protein for more meals than just supper, though. I'd love it if you had time to share ideas.

BTW, the girls looked wonderful in their new beads. :)

Shelley in BC