Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Finally Beads

When God chose our girls for our family He knew my heart to spend time doing hair. It might not seem like a big deal to some people. But for people who know what it is to be a not so touchy-feely person, doing hair is a great way to have hands-on and show a child your love. Doing the creative hair styles takes hours and is a very personal time with a child. I love the fact that the girls know it is something I enjoy doing for them, and it is something I do for them alone.

One night I had intended to try and do Mesai's hair in beads and I had forgotten until it was too late. It was 30 minutes to bedtime. Typical of her personality, Mesai did not complain. I sent her to bed and fully intended on waking up early to do her hair before church. The following morning something happened that never happens: Mesai went to the bathroom at 6:30 am and caused me to wake-up. If I had not heard her I would not have woken as I have no alarm! When I went into the bathroom, Mesai was wide awake and this is unusual because she sleeps in the morning until we wake her up. Sleepy girls!

God is good. He knew my heart and that I felt bad not doing her hair and I really didn't want to let her down.

I immediately asked her if she wanted her hair done and it was a beaming Yes! I washed her hair, conditioned it, creamed it and combed it out. We then headed downstairs and parked ourselves by the kitchen heater. It was still dark outside and noone arose for the next two hours! It was a wonderful, quiet morning of just Mesai and I.


She would sit and hold the beads and fill the beader for me while I was putting in the previous set.


I actually found it easier to do her hair, while she had no distractions of TV. I was able to turn her to me without worrying about cutting in on her movie etc. And to be honest, if she really wants to have her hair beautiful it is a sacrifice. As I jokingly taught her to say: Vanity has a price. *grin* She is eager to sit for two hours because she is so happy to see her gorgeous hairdos when they are done.

When Gadisae woke up it was her big day. This was the day she finally had enough hair to do tiny baby bunches. Her hair is so baby fine. She took all of 15 minutes to do her hair and as proud as a peacock when it was done.



Happy Little Girl
.
Ready For Church
.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Justine, The girls look fabulous and so pleased. You did a great job! Happy New Year- Continued Blessings in 2009!
Noelle

Anonymous said...

The girls look so cute with their hair done. Selam seems to be the only Ethiopian girl who could care less about her hair. I do it, but she doesn't like it and would prefer that I just leave it! She does like to see the end result, but would rather it be left alone.
Natasha