Monday, December 22, 2008

I Am A Big Sister

Gadisae is the absolutely worst person for eating a meal in any reasonable time frame. It drives me nuts. I am used to boys. They inhale food. Gadisae doesn't. But she is improving. She knows that I am not one to keep the kitchen open for hours on end. She is used to the word 'hustle'. *smile*



Well, Briton is a close second. It isn't that he is slow. He just doesn't need much food. He is small and doesn't seem to need to eat. Tonight, we were having cake after dinner. The kids were getting their dinners all done, so they could have their cake. Briton was not even touching his dinner. I was not intending to give him any cake if he did not eat. He knew this.


He looked at Gadisae and said, "Didi, hep me. Heady." (Didi, help me. This is hard to eat.")

Gadisae got the cutest grin and her dimples came out and she looked at me and said, "Mumma, me help Biton, please?"


Of course, I couldn't resist letting her be the big sister, even though he is WAY too old to be fed. Ridiculously too old. But what the hey!


She took his spoon and immediately began to feed him. He ate quickly and she was so proud of herself. Gadisae said, "Me help Biton. I am big sister."




A little later, "Almost done, Biton."

Within minutes he was done and they both had their icecream cake. I love seeing their relationship growing. Mind you, they have been sister and brother since day one. It was no different than bringing a new baby home from the hospital. They just 'are'.

Note: What may have helped Briton to connect so well with the girls, and to get over his tears, is we actually moved him into our room about a month ago. He has the mattress that was originally intended for the girls. He sleeps there and has a chance to snuggle in bed with me in the morning before we start the day. This is not something I have ever needed to do with any other child. And I must say, I am enjoying the tender cuddles, especially since he is my last baby.

.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story! I also have to comment on how much I love the girls' Christmas dresses and seeing them enjoy the snow!

Playful Platypus said...

Very sweet!!

Mustang is also one who eats slowly. Not that she EATS slowly, she is just much too busy talking and playing to actually eat. It has been (and is) a challenge to get her to stay at the table during meals. She's getting better but it's taken an effort. She could easily spend an hour over each and every meal (and did for the first nine months after joining the family, when I was home from work).

And, frankly, I sometimes resort to hand-feeding her, just to get her to actually finish off her meal relatively soon after everyone else is done. And she's EIGHT (and a half, she would be sure to add)!

The kids have chores. Initially it was Button's chore to set the supper table and Mustang's to clear the table, but that just didn't work because everyone else would be done and ready to clear the table and move on and she'd still have half a plateful of food. So we reversed the chores and now it works much better - Button usually finishes eating first and the others (except for Mustang) aren't far behind so he can clear the bulk of the dishes away, which gives her an incentive to finish her food quicker.

Anonymous said...

So cute! Gadisae and Briton remind me of Selam and Matakai! They are just the best of friends.
Have a wonderful Christmas!
love, Natasha