Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Do Not Like Decorating!

I do not like it at all!! And just think - I have EIGHT birthdays where I have to decorate: cakes, wrap presents, decorate the house, plus I have a Christmas tree, house decorations to hang and more. UGGH!!

So when my wonderful 15 year old son told me he wanted to decorate the tree - I let him!

Now this might not seem like a big deal to you, but I like a tree that looks nice. I have a houseful of kids drawings, paintings, art work etc. They know they are loved. But my mother always decorated the tree - with our help - but she had it looking nice. Yes, I know the *good* mothers let their kids decorate the trees and have bald patches and overcrowded patches. But I have not yet, in 17 years, gotten there, and I really don't think I ever will.

The kids usually decorate the tree with their dad, but he helps them even it out and keep it looking proper. I know there are going to be those of you who really need to blast me for this, but don't worry, my kids feel valued for other things. *smile*

But this year I was just not up to doing the tree. Oh, I would have done it, if no one had rescued me. But suffice it to say, when my son offered to do the tree, I was thrilled! And he did a fabulous job! Sure, he did it differently to me.


And yes, when he said he was putting the red light son the tree, I said somewhat slowly, "I don't usually use the red lights. They make me think of devil's eyes when the lights are out." But I bowed to his expertise and his opinion and we have red and green lights because, like he says, "Red and green make it look like Christmas."

And he is right! It looks great. So guess who gets the job next year? And the inside house decorating job? You got it. Not me. I have resigned. I have a great son who will train the troops.

Oh, and you should have seen the wonder on Briton's face when he came down from his nap and found the tree all set up. He stood in awe, in his t-shirt and undies, and simply pointed up at the star.

.

3 comments:

Tami said...

I LOVE decorating for Christmas...but each year I bow to the kids pressure to let them decorate. I'm looking forward to the day when they're not so into it anymore and will let me handle it again...or better yet, we have the room for two trees - one in the family room and another pretty, formal one.

darci said...

that's great! i know, i always sneak around and move ornaments after my kids have 'helped'..heehee

Corrie said...

.....a man of many talents, that Dane of yours!!!!!