Saturday, December 13, 2008

Homeschool Boys

I love homeschooled boys! These kids know how to work. They may not like it, just like other kids, but at least they know how to do it!

Cassidy saw a need and took care of it. He is not quite 11 years old! He saw that the dishwasher was not opening correctly. So he went to the basement and got his dad's drill, removed the face of the base of the dishwasher and proceeded to fix the problem.


But being the homeschooled boy that he is, he didn't stop there. He saw all the dust, dirt and disgusting things under the dishwasher. Off he went to get the vacuum and he cleaned it out! He then put the machine back together. How cool is that!!

Another applause to my son, who only turned 12 on Friday. I have had some crazy days lately. What am I saying? It has not slowed down since the girls came home. But since the weather has broken and they are inside most of the day - it is nuts.

So I created a weekly menu. I only cook three days a week. And actually, as my astute son pointed out - I only do Spaghetti, Sloppy Joes, and one other easy meal. My meals are the ones that I make a number of and have in the freezer. So my cooking days entail getting a meal from the freezer, thawing it, and then heating and serving it. Much better plan!

So Cassidy had to cook dinner two days this week. He had no help from me. I simply typed up a recipe and then inserted it in a plastic page protector. It was laid out in a very simple format. The first day, he made Cajun Meatloaf and homemade herb rice. The second day, he made a batch of Sloppy Joes. One for that night and one for the freezer. How awesome is that! What a great little helper!

He will be compiling a cookbook of all his accomplished recipes and taking it with him when he leaves home. I have told him that perhaps if he learns to cook well that when he marries, he can be the cook. Then he won't have to put up with his wife cooking all the things he doesn't like: onions, celery, mushrooms, green pepper, etc, etc, etc - the list is endless!
.
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cassidy. I to had a helper tonight, Lane (14) peeled all my vege's for me even though he won't eat them, hmmm must be a boy thing.

HomoHausfrau said...

That's awesome! Way to start them on a good path, Justine!

I, too, used to cook for my family while I was in junior high/high school, and the practice on my family has served me well now that I'm into my twenties and live on my own. I love hosting dinner parties and cooking for friends and family!--all because of the start I got when I was younger!