Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Tubing 2008

I had a hard time not putting up all these photos, since this is my journal for my kids. So you will have lots of wonderful pictures to view. *smile*

I decided pretty spontaneously this morning to take the kids tubing. I am a very spontaneous person. I find the way I do things is make a decision and then act on it, but I do not inform anyone until I am almost totally ready. So, it would not be out of character for me to decide to take a 24 hour road trip with my children, not inform then, pack the bags secretly, load the van without anyone knowing, and then ask them all to get into the car: we are going to town. Once past town they would ask me, Where are we going? We passed town.

Oh, well, I wonder. We will just have to drive and see.
*laugh*

Life is for adventures and fun! Who wants to be predictable!

So this morning, I did the same thing. This was no big deal, of course. It was simply to the local ski hill. This is literally 5 minutes from our house!! How fortunate are we! But because I do not like chaos, I did not tell anyone until they were in the car. I decided at breakfast to go, and then told one child who could help me, and then it was calm as we were preparing. You can imagine the bedlam if I had told them they were going tubing today!


We Really Do Need a 12 - 15 Passenger! One Day...


What Are You Doing in There!

The girls think they have encountered tubing and snow at our house! It was time to take them to a real tubing hill!


Waiting For Mum

Briton started off the morning with me convincing him to go down the hill.

Briton and Big Brother, Colt

I gently put him in the tube and gave it a shove. He followed his big brother down the hill and that was the beginning of him having a blast.


We began the morning by pairing up a big boy with a little one. This lasted for all of a couple runs and then we realized the little ones were quite capable of doing the work themselves.


That was until one certain little girl decided she needed a big brother to haul her up the hills. They were very obliging and took great care of their little charges. Briton was a hoot. Of course!



There was one time when he was on the hill and he had been in a group of three tubes and the had come to a stand still. One of our big boys came down the hill after them, did not veer off, as they usually would do, and instead, went POW into Briton. Briton went airborne for about 18 inches before landing back in his tube. I thought he might cry, but no, not Briton. He was having a blast.


This was really fun. I have not had a gap in 17 years of being pregnant or having a tiny one, until now. So this was the first time that I felt like I could get out there and have a great time without having to stop to nurse or look after a baby, or be too pregnant to go sliding down a hill.


Colt, Dane, and Cassidy found themselves a way to not wait in the lineups. The 'mother' in me wanted to correct them, but at the same time, I realized that what they were doing was not wrong - it was creative and not hurting anyone. So I let them do it. They would wait near the front of the line and when a tow rope went by that the tow person couldn't get a hold of, they would grab it and take the ride up. The liftie didn't mind and the unused tow bar didn't go unused. And the boys got more rides in.

Colt and Dane Chatting With the Liftie

As usual, Gadisae proved to be a real tomboy. When she was going up the tow rope she would try to hang out the sides, stand up and turn around, or even climb out on the hill!

Briton and Cooper had a couple times where their tow rope fell off the bar and they had to hike up. Thankfully, for Briton, being so tiny, one of his big brothers would usually come by and swoop him up.


Briton and Colt and Dane would come down together, and once, they were plowing snow as they came down.


Briton was a fabulous sport, as he got a faceful of snow dust! All that snow on the tube was a facewash Briton got on that run.

Snow Blown, But Still Loving It

Rosy Cheeks!

Breaking For Lunch

Speaking of lunch. You should have seen those girls inhale their carrots and green peppers, when they realized I was going back to the hill as soon as I was done! They were the first ones done! They were not planning on missing a minute on the hill!

Didi, How Much Longer Til Our Turn?

Austin, What's It Like Tubing Blind?

Crazy Dude, Cassidy

Another Big Brother Helping Wee Briton

While we were at the hill, Colt and Dane got offered jobs as lift operators. The money is lousy, but they would not be doing it for the money. This is a great way for them to afford to snowboard, snowmobile, ski, and tube for free! When they are on the job there they get to bomb around on the snowmobiles doing different jobs!

I told my boys just recently, the memories I have that I do not regret, but actually embrace, of being 'not so wealthy' (poor - but I didn't realize it was poor) when I was a child. I have great remembrances of all the creative choices we had to come up with to make things work for us. For example, *smile*, when I wanted to sew (as I was always creative) and I did not have elastic to make the doll clothes, I simply cut the elastic out of my underwear! *laugh* My mother was not impressed, but that has created a fond memory for me! *grin*

I also am very grateful that I had to come up with things I wanted and did not have them handed to me on a silver platter. It was just normal for us. Our parents provided what was expected and we came up with the extras. Now I am so glad that my kids will have this same opportunity! They could choose to go without on the snow hill, or they could realize that working for a few rides is worth it. The hard work creates joy in the heart when they receive the reward of the skiing, tubing etc.

I am so proud of my big boys for being such willing helpers to all the little ones, so that we could all have a truly wonderful day.
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Justine what fun!!! I am so happy that you got to do this with all of the children. Your older boys are indeed special, you and Ray have done a great job of raising them. Penny and I loaded up my car last year and took our whole group and friends to the same place tubing, it was great fun. There is no such thing as too many photos I love them all. My family and I would like to wish you all a Very Happy New Year.

Unknown said...

Great Fun! This is one of our favorite things to do up north with the boys. So nice to see how your children all help eachother out.
Noelle

dmvoccola said...

Loved the photos--you did a great job of capturing the excitement. Wish we were there! ;)

the Melodious Mama said...

How fun! I can so imagine the wonderful shift out of baby land! It won't be long now before I can join you in that respect. (although we do plan to adopt babies, I just haven't had my diaper fix I guess, lol)
Glad you guys had such a great day!