Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Queen of Lunch

Gadisae has an infuriating habit of dawdling over food. She will take 1 hour to eat a sandwich, apple, cookie. This if fine when I lay out enough time, but not when it is a late lunch near naptime, or we are going out. As I said before, she knows the word, "Hustle" quite well.

One night, she took about 30 minutes to eat about 3 tablespoons of food that was on her plate - *after* everyone else had eaten and was 30 minutes gone. I am not used to kids being like this. And she needs her food, so tossing it is not an option, and I am not into rewarding dawdling by throwing it away either. I know how much they will eat and they always ask for more. And sometimes after she has dawdled so much she will ask for more! So it is not lack of hunger. It is just that she eats like a turtle. Agghh!! And anyone that knows me knows I am like the hare! Speedy. *smile*

So the other day something happened. It worked out rather well and I did not even plan it. Gadisae happened to wander downstairs while I was making lunch. So I had her sit down and begin. The others were busy upstairs and I wasn't really ready for a tribe of kids yet, so I didn't call them. About 20 minutes later, another child arrived and so I had him call the rest. They all joined Gadisae in eating.

Before long, Gadisae was done. Hallelujah!!! So I pointed out to her that she was the FIRST ONE DONE!!! YEAH!!! She smiled and smiled and smiled. I told her that because she was done she had time to play before bed. Happy girl!! Usually they eat and then right to bed at 1:00 pm. No, not this time. 20 minutes to play.

The other kids, led by Austin, gave her a rousing round of applause.

Waving at the Ones Still Eating
(Ignore my messy kitchen, I was making Christmas baking)

I then snuck off and created her a crown. You should have seen her pleasure and pride!



.
.

7 comments:

HomoHausfrau said...

That's great!

What a wonderful reward for her quick eating! Maybe she'll now have more incentive to eat faster!!! ;)

the Melodious Mama said...

lol, that is too funny! I think my Eden and Chelsea's Annie must be cut from the same cloth. With out fail they are both the last at the table....except on the VERY rare occasion when some bit of magic motivates them. Then again Eden, seems to take forever to do everything...she has a very "enjoy the moment, live in the now" personality that I have just had to come to appreciate. (or at least to make an effort to try to appreciate, lol)

Unknown said...

Jenn,

I truly appreciate your comment of "enjoy the moment, live in the now," because I do believe this will be the story of her life!

Everything she does is slow. Mind you, I too have seen that little spark. Just yesterday, when she had not made her bed when she was supposed to, I came into the bedroom and told her sister that she could watch tv with the other kids. A little motivator.

Gadisae didn't cry. She simply hustled (and trust me, motivators most times don't work, but I keep applying them in the hopes they will). She flew through making her bed and came out with her chest heaving and panting and laughing!

I shall try your method - thank you!

Anonymous said...

Justine,
I had to laugh when reading this post. As Jenn said, my daughter takes FOREVER to eat. She would seriously take an hour to eat a PB and J. What I have come to learn about her is that she doesn't need nearly as much food as the other kids need. Now I give her half as much as the other kids and she is done almost as fast as they. She doesn't complain about being hungry and she looks great
This may sound a bit cruel, but at breakfast time(she is still in public school) I have a 'no talking' rule. This helps enormously. If I didn't she would chat her sweet little head off and be late for school every morning.
ttys,
Chelsea

Unknown said...

Chelsea,

First and foremost: I would love to get together and talk "all things adoption and mega size family" *smile* after the Christmas season.

As to your methods of no talking at breakfast, I also have a similar one I put into operation once in a while. It is called The Quiet Game. It has been around since my oldest was about 5. They don't really often get a prize, but they take great satisfaction in knowing they are the quietest ones. I get the quiet for a few minutes! :o)

The rules are simple: noone talks. (smile)

As far as giving Gadisae less - I can't. She has weight to put on - still very tiny and lightweight for her size. And she will often ask for more when she eventually finishes the first plateful!

Blessings, Justine

Anonymous said...

Love the crown.
What a brillant idea.

Sheila

Anonymous said...

Brilliant idea!